BREFIX TECHNOLOGIES is building a unique global network pooling Renewable Energy Professionals to link them together with Project Managers, Developers, Manufacturers, Financiers and Energy Regulators, for their mutual benefit out of shared expertise, complementary capabilities and local excellence.
Long-term experience, presence on all global markets and flexible performing of the whole cycle - from R&D to after-sales activities - allow the BREFIX TECHNOLOGIES Partners to provide competitive solutions for cost-efficient construction, and optimum and safe operation of a power plant. Beside these, our Partners and Members always focus on technical innovations and eco-friendliness.
We are also actively involved in research and development and can act as Small or Medium enterprise partner for research co-operations, which is often required for public funding.
We arrange for the following field services:
- Flow measurements in open channels
- Flow and pressure measurements in piped systems
- Water and wastewater analysis
- Geodetic surveys
- Energy efficiency measurements
Hydropower and Energy Capabilities
- project identification studies
- feasibility studies
- appraisal of potential sites and resources
- geotechnical and geophysical investigations
- environmental studies
- Front End Engineering and Design (FEED)
- preliminary layouts and design
- preliminary cost estimates
- cash flow forecasts
- financing and contracting strategies
- risk assessment
- government, commercial and community liaison
- load demand and network studies including rural electrification planning
- geotechnical, hydrological, hydrogeological and geophysical investigations
- field development planning
- comparative and optimistation studies including least cost development plans
- stakeholder and community consultation
- environmental and social assessments and land acquisition plans
- economic and financial analysis
- cost benefit analysis
- hydropower generation
- gas generation (open and combined cycle)
- geothermal generation
- biomass generation and biogas production
- solar thermal generation
- photovoltaic generation
- wind generation
- power transmission lines and substations
- distribution networks
- rural electrification
- CSG field development
- gas processing including sour gas clean up, dehydration and compression, deslugging and stripping
- condensate and liquids tankage
- civil and structural design
- conceptual and detailed design of underground works and services, tunnels, power stations and associated structures, gas processing plants, field development services
- 3D visualisation and modelling
- clash analysis
- design review
- line route selection and optimisation including tower spotting
- network and protection studies including system analysis
- geotechnical, hydrological and seismic analysis
- hydrothermal resource development
- procurement management through EPCM and traditional Design and Construct arrangements
- construction supervision
- contract management
- project management
- asset management
- claims assessment
- Owner’s or Banker’s Engineer responsibilities
- Our team has major experience in the design and the construction of small hydropower projects, using optimum solutions.
- For your project as well, we will find a preconceived and pre-engineered solution that is best adapted to the local physical conditions, taking into account your timing and economic constraints.
Hydro Turbines and Small Hydro Power Plants: BreFix Technologies
- High efficiency
- Extremely long service life
- High operational safety
- Minimum maintenance requirements
- Low operating costs
Perfect customer care prior to and following the purchase, multilingual team and ISO 9001:2001 + ISO 14001:2004 certification, all this supports their positive-minded company profile.
SEND AN ENQUIRY to info@BreFix.com
2-cell Crossflow Turbine
Crossflow turbines have a long service life and they are almost maintenance free. During operation, they do not require any costly or complex spare parts; repairing them is feasible on site. A specific advantage of Crossflow turbines is the possibility of using them in drinking water systems, even in very long conduits, not causing undesirable water hammer effects and thus not affecting the quality of drinking water during operation. This has been successfully tested by our company several times in numerous countries around the world.
- Head height: H = 3… 200 m
- Flow: Q = 0,03… 13 m³/s
- Capacity: N = 10… 3 500 kW
Crossflow turbines are radial, slightly overpressure turbines with tangential injection of the runner blades and with a horizontal shaft. They rank among low-speed turbines. The water flow comes through an inlet pipe, then, it is regulated by guide vanes and finally enters the runner of the turbine. After passing through, the water leaves on the opposite side of the runner, providing so additional efficiency. Finally, it flows from the casing either freely or through a draft tube to a stilling basin under the turbine.
If the water flow is variable, then the Crossflow turbine is designed with two cells. The standard division of the inlet cells is 1:2. The narrower cell processes small water flow and the wider cell processes medium flow. Both cells together process full flow. As a result, the water flow is used from 100 to 12 % with maximum efficiency, and the turbine is able to start operation even with only 6% of the design flow.
In practice, the water flow in the runner provides a self-cleaning effect. Any impurities that are pushed between the blades when water enters the runner are also pulled out by centrifugal force. After a half revolution of the runner, the water takes the impurities out of the runner and flushes them away to the stilling basin.
The total efficiency of small Crossflow turbines with a small head is between 80-84% throughout the flow. The maximum efficiency of medium and big turbines with a higher head is 87%.
The advantages of a partially loaded Crossflow turbine are illustrated by the efficiency curve shown in fig.3. The actual river flows are very small for several months of the year, if compared to the design flow of the turbine. During those months, the energy production depends solely on the ability of the turbine to utilize these partial flows efficiently. As a result, our two-cell Crossflow turbines with their flat curve of efficiency achieve higher annual energy output, than turbines reaching high efficiency with full flow, but rather low efficiency with partial flow.
The casing of a Crossflow turbine is made of structural steel; it is robust, resistant to impacts and frost. If there is high contents of abrasive material in the water (e.g. sand, silt) or if the actual composition of the water is considered aggressive (e.g. sea water, acidy water), all parts of the turbine in contact with water are made of stainless steel.
The runner is the most important part of the turbine. It is equipped with blades which are made of polished drawn profile steel by a well-proven method. Depending on the actual hydraulic data, either structural steel or stainless steel is used for their construction. Both ends of the blades are fitted in runner discs and welded with intermediate discs of the runner following a specific procedure. Depending on the size, the runner has up to 37 blades. The linearly slanted blades create only slight axial force and therefore reinforced axial bearings with complex fitting and lubrication are not required. Blades of wider runners are supported by multiple discs. Runners are carefully balanced before final installation of the turbine and are subject to crack detection control.
Crossflow turbines are equipped with self-aligning roller bearings having several advantages, such as low rolling resistance and simple maintenance. The design of the bearing housing prevents water leakage into bearings and contact of lubricants with working water. This is an important quality of the patent design of our Crossflow turbine bearing housing. Furthermore, the runner is centered in the turbine casing by means of the bearings. Such an inventive technical solution is completed with maintenance-free sealing elements. Apart from grease change every year, the bearings do not require any maintenance. Moreover, the used technical solution enables simple replacement of the runner without taking the entire turbine out of its position.
The Crossflow turbine is a free stream turbine, just like a Pelton turbine. However, in case of medium or low head, it is possible to apply a draft tube in order to utilize the entire head. The water column in the draft tube must be controllable, though. This is ensured by a regulation air valve, affecting the suction pressure in the turbine casing. In such a manner, turbines with a suction head from 1 to 3 m can be optimally used without any danger of cavitation.
Safe connection to the power grid with optimum efficiency of the turbine.
- 10 kW-3.500 kW/unit
- Head range: 5-200 m
- Run of river SHPP
- Dam SHPP
- SHPP in drinking water systems
- SHPP in wastewater treatment plants
- SHPP for electrification of remote areas
- Increased annual production because of high efficiency from 12% to 100% of flow
- Starts operation with only 6% of flow
- Tailor-made for every installation
- Non-clogging runner
- Highly tolerant against varying head
- Simple installation and minimal civil works
- Almost maintainance-free
- Highly tolerant against foreign substances
- Proven quality from almost 10.000 installations
Our Partnering Manufacturers offers high quality control systems and switchboards for:
- Grid parallel operation focused on achieving the maximum annual production
- Autonomous (isolated) operation, for internal consumption of the customer, with excess energy dissipation
- Combination of grid parallel operation and autonomous operation with the option of a “blackstart”
- PLC SIMATIC touch screen panel ensures 100% capacity and functional control of your turbine on site or via Internet.
- Option of remote control, monitoring and diagnostics
- Fully automated power plant operation
- Use of the best-quality components
- En-block construction enabling easy diagnostics
Small hydro powerplants
- A trash-rack cleaning machine, including accessories
- Closing valves of the inlet and by-pass
- Piping and steel structures
- Gearboxes / belt drives / clutches
- Asynchronous or synchronous generators
- Control systems of turbine sets
- Generator control panels
- Hydraulic systems
- Planning and design
The optimal adjustment of included components, as well as their high efficiency, will ensure fast return of the investment.
Power stations in drinking water systemsOur Partnering Manufacturers are specialized in deliveries of turbine sets for drinking and wastewater systems. This is possible due to the structure of the used Crossflow and Francis turbines, which are designed hydraulically in such a manner that the smallest possible hydraulic impacts are achieved even with big lengths of pipes. Crossflow turbines may be used in wastewater systems thanks to the self-cleaning capacity of the runner.
The used system of the turbine control and the turbine bearing system guarantee that the hygienic quality of working water and its permanent classification as drinking water are maintained at 100%. Waterworks and sewage disposal plants are facilities with high power consumption. The installation of a small hydropower station will change them into energetically self-sufficient units and will in many cases even enable sale of excess energy to the public electricity network. During installation of a small hydropower station in drinking water systems, it is not necessary to stop the water supply to residents for a long time, and it will not get polluted.
Our manufacturing Partners utilise their experience in numerous installations in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Italy, Finland, Romania, Bulgaria and other countries around the world.
Trash-rack cleaning machinesTrash-rack cleaning machines reliably remove deposited foreign bodies from the protective rack in front of the inlet openings and ensure unobstructed flow of water to the turbines.
Depending on the scope of contamination, trash-rack cleaning machines secure high energy use of your hydropower station. In particular, in the autumn when leaves fall from the trees or in the winter when ice covers some parts, cleaning machines can guarantee an increase in capacity of up to 30%.
Our Partnering Manufacturers offers specific cleaning machines for any type of trash-racks, depending on the design:
- Telescopic cleaning machines for screens up to 3.5m width and 1.5m height
- Stationary hydraulically controlled cleaning machines for screens up to 8m width and 10m height
A common feature of all design types is high quality, guaranteeing trouble-free operation for several decades:
- Robust, steel construction, resistant to distortion
- Completely hot galvanized
- Maintenance-free bearings with permanent lubrication
- Oil hydraulic equipment with pressure limit switches
- This type of cleaning rake does not require any alignment of racks
- The cleaning rake is made of a material which is highly resistant to wear
- The cleaning algorithm is controlled automatically by means of water level sensors or switch relays
- We also offer frost-resistant heated belt conveyors
Services & Technical SupportOur Partnering Manufacturers provide
- supervision of turbine installations
- inspection of installed equipment
- commissioning of power plants
- instruction of power plant personnel
- old hydro power plant refurbishment
- maintenance of equipment delivered by Our Partnering Manufacturers according to customer’s requirements
- remote monitoring of power plant features over the Internet
- online technical assistance, flexible solutions, fast response time
- software updates